These are my notes from the “Building a Blended Learning Toolkit” session at the 2016 FETC conference.
- Students can review what happened in class.
- Give every access. Teachers need to learn how to get the technology work for us.
- Can incorporate all of the stakeholders, including parents and administrators, so they know what is happening in your class.
- Enables differentiation. “Finally!”
- http://nearpod.com or download the app
- Nearpod Presentation
- Looks like a slideshow of static images.
- Can post a question for the students to respond to. Presenter is able to select specific responses from a list to post on the screen.
- A slide with images of computers, tablets, cell phones etc., directions say to circle the devices you use most with students.
- Create reports of how students responded to questions. (Also, she was able to embed a pdf in the presentation.) Display a pie chart of the results to students.
- SAMR Model
- Augmentation (technology is added in, but not essential to the task)
- Redefinition (task could not be done without technology)
- Can send links to students that automatically open on their device. Or just make links that students can click on.
- Embed movies
- Import a PowerPoint
- Launch a homework session
- Asynchronous – students move at own pace.
- A participant suggested looking at Office Mix
- Create simple slideshows. One theme per presentation and a short list of slide layouts.
- Search for a Creative Content image within app to embed.
- $5 a month for educators.
- Whiteboard app, turn your iPad into a smartboard.
- Whiteboard app, but geared toward making a screencast.
- Import content from Google Drive
- Great way to have students explain their thinking.
- App that can replace using an Apple TV for Airplay. Mirror any device onto a Mac or PC.
- Learning management system
- Tool within Google Apps for Education
How to make all of the tools work together.
- Drag and drop elements to create a web site.
- Easily embed images from Getty Images.
- Look for the embed symbol
</>to insert embeds from other sites, such as embedding a Nearpod.
- Type of learning management system, similar to Schoology or Moodle.
- Getty Images
- http://www.classtools.net, Random Name Picker
- Look for Screencast-o-matic